Friday, May 30, 2014

Blooming Cherry Blossoms


The month of May is an anniversary, of sorts, for me.  It’s the month I reflect, remember, memorialize and celebrate the life of my dear friend, Cynthia.  It’s has been three years since Cynthia’s death - May 9, 2011. 

I’ve been reflecting and remembering and in doing so I thought I’d blog about all the memorializing I’ve been doing yet I couldn’t put the words to paper or the fingers to the keyboard and have my thoughts make sense - until today. 

Just a few weeks ago, around the weekend of May 9th, I was driving in my hometown.  I hadn’t visited Pittsburgh during a spring bloom in many years.  So, it’s not surprising I had forgotten how the beautiful blooms color the neighborhoods.  I was in awe of the abundance of cherry blossoms and dogwood trees.  The pink, dark pink and white flowers were spectacular.  

My mom and husband pulled the car off the road so I could make imagery of what I saw as we drove past the park.   In the park I was struck by the beauty that once surrounded me when I was younger.  Beauty that I know I took for granted as a child/young woman.  I experienced such a powerful rush of emotions being so close to the lush colors of greens and pinks along the river. 

This image is what I saw that day.  For me, it represents the journey from shock, disbelief, sadness, loss, anger and confusion (to mention a few) to that of personal growth, exploration and great curiosity in answering one of life’s great questions – “What Is Next?”  What IS next now that it’s been three years.  

Just to the right of the cherry blossoms is a path.  If I were to follow the path, it would take me into the green trees and into something quite unknown -  something I won't take for granted and someplace where "lush" and "awe" awaits!
Blooming Cherry Blossoms

No comments: